International Women in Engineering Day 2021
Search Awareness Days
What is International Women in Engineering Day?
This year, International Women in Engineering Day falls on Wednesday, 23 June 2021. First recognised in 2014, the event has grown exponentially since its inception, receiving UNESCO patronage in 2016.
International Women in Engineering Day recognises that there’s no one way to reach women who may be interested in going into the engineering field. Organisers work to get governments, businesses, educational institutions, engineering companies, parents, individuals, and the media involved in the day to further the reach of the event. There are many social media opportunities for both organisations and individuals to get involved in the celebration of the day.
Why was International Women in Engineering Day Created?
Now in its ninth year, International Women in Engineering Day was created both to celebrate the accomplishments of women in the engineering field and to help young girls become aware of STEM career options that they may not have considered previously.
Through social media, awards, and events, International Women in Engineering Day works to reach as many women as possible, both to inform them of opportunities in engineering and to raise awareness of all that women are doing to move the engineering field forward.
Women in Engineering By the Numbers
Women make valuable contributions to the field of engineering but are fiercely underrepresented.
Statistics on women in engineering include:
- In 2019, 28% of men had an intention to major in engineering, compared with just 10% of women
- Just 13% of engineers are women, and on average, female engineers earn 10% less than male engineers
- Only 17% of engineering professors are female
International Women in Engineering Day is run by the UK charity Women’s Engineering Society. Sponsorships and other donations work to help the organisation continue to raise awareness and promote the inclusion of women in the engineering field.
International Women in Engineering Day 2021 Theme
This year’s theme is “engineering heroes,” and will focus on the incredible accomplishments made by women in the engineering field. While many fantastic developments have been made in engineering in response to the COVID-19 crisis, this theme is also meant to honor and celebrate women who have made advancements in the field that improve and support normal day-to-day life.
How To Celebrate International Women in Engineering Day
Whether you’re an engineer, an educator, or a woman who is interested in entering the engineering field, there are many ways you can participate in International Women in Engineering Day 2021, including:
- Use these pre-printed selfie cards to show your support and enthusiasm for International Women in Engineering Day on your social media platforms
- Use the hashtags #INWED21 and #EngineeringHeroes when sharing International Women in Engineering Day content on social media
- Make an impact on inclusion and diversity in the engineering field by becoming an International Women in Engineering Day sponsor
- Show support and raise awareness by printing and displaying posters and literature to inspire conversations about women in engineering